If you've always dreamed of visiting Australia's heartland in Outback Queensland, it's time to grab your kit and head for the bush! Longreach is the ideal outback base for soaking up the history and heritage of this amazing region. Spend some time, book a room in an old country pub and meet some local characters. Whether your accommodation tastes lean towards camping under the stars or air-conditioned comfort, Longreach offers visitors plenty of options.
Longreach is home to some top outback attractions to include:
- Drover's Sunset Cruise on the beautiful Thomson River - board the M.V. Explorer for a sunset cruise on the Thomson River offering 360 degree river views, then dock at Smithy's for a night to remember dining under the stars with the live Smithy's Outback Dinner & Show.
- Smithy's Outback Dinner & Show on the banks of the Thomson River. Feel the genuine hospitality of your outback hosts with a warm welcome from Smithy's. Includes 3 course drover's dinner and live entertainment.
- Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame – this tribute to Australia’s Outback heroes includes a variety of traditional artefacts, electronic displays, photographs, films and stories of bush life.
- Qantas Founders Museum – this world-class attraction commemorates the founders of this great Australian company that grew to become internationally recognised as a leader in world aviation. Join a tour of the decommissioned 747 ‘City of Bunbury’ and the latest addition to the collection is the Boeing 707 jet, the very first passenger jet ever owned by Qantas.
- Longreach - School of Distance Education – Visit one of the largest classrooms in the world at the Longreach School of Distance Education. Tours include a walk through the school with an explanation of the process of the delivery, as well as observing a lesson.
- Camden Park Station in Longreach owned and run by a 3rd generation grazier family. Station Sunset visits can be booked through Outback Aussie Tours.
- Australian Agricultural College, Longreach Campus – Experience a taste of life on the land by taking a guided tour. Observe students at work, see live animals and discover the scope of things on offer.
- Longreach Powerhouse Museum – Discover one of Longreach’s best kept secrets. Unearth the local history with exhibits that include the powerhouse generating equipment, displays of social and commercial history, agricultural and road building machinery and the 1921 swimming baths.
- Longreach Tourist Park and Woolshed Restaurant - Longreach Tourist Park provides tourists with everything from air conditioned luxury two bedroom villas and cabins to caravan and camping power sites with ensuite and drive through facilities. The park has three amenities blocks, coach bays, camp kitchen, BBQ sites, two pools and spas. The Woolshed Restaurant and Bistro is fully air conditioned and licensed.
- Longreach Motor Inn is located directly across the road from the historic Longreach Railway Station and the Outback Aussie Tours office. The property offers a range of accommodation options from standard rooms to King Executive rooms. Their onsite restaurant Harry's Restaurant & Bar is a favourite Longreach dining option.
For more information on Longreach, we recommend that you view the Longreach Tourism website