Longreach is the ideal outback base for soaking up the history and heritage of this amazing Outback Queensland region.
If you’ve always dreamed of visiting Australia’s heartland in Outback Queensland, it’s time to grab your kit and head for the bush! Longreach is the ideal outback base for soaking up the history and heritage of this amazing region. Book a room in an old country pub and meet some local characters. Whether your accommodation tastes lean towards camping under the stars or air-conditioned comfort, Longreach offers visitors plenty of options.
Visit Longreach with Outback Aussie Tours:
- Outback Getaway: 5-7 Day Tour. The ideal short break in Outback Queensland, this tour explores Queensland’s heartland towns of Longreach & Winton featuring four nights in Longreach, a day tour to Winton and all of the top Longreach attractions.
- Legendary Longreach & Winton Tour: 6-8 Day Tour. Experience the highlights of Outback Queensland’s heartland on the best selling fully inclusive tour featuring more of the top Longreach & Winton attractions and hospitality.
- Outback Overlander: 9-10 Day Tour. Take a unique adventure deep into the heart of the spectacular outback. Explore some of Queensland’s best kept secrets as you journey from Cairns to Brisbane via Winton, Longreach, Barcaldine and the fascinating Outback region.
- Birdsville Desert Escape: 9-11 Day Tour. A very popular fully inclusive tour featuring Birdsville, where the Channel Country meets the desert, Winton & Longreach. Tour the picturesque Far West Outback region, a fusion of stunning red sand hills, abundant wildlife and magnificent flora and fauna. Includes a 30 minute scenic flight with breathtaking views over Simpson Desert & Big Red sand dune.
- Corner Country Explorer: 16-17 Day Tour. Journey to the spectacular Channel Country and discover fascinating and remote Outback communities with legendary outback characters. Retrace the last days of Burke and Wills and explore majestic desert landscapes on this fully inclusive memorable tour. The Corner Country Explorer departs Brisbane and visits Stanthorpe, Roma, Charleville, Thargomindah, Tibooburra, Innamincka, Birdsville, Windorah and Longreach. Includes an unforgettable scenic flight from Innamincka to Birdsville via William Creek and over iconic Lake Eyre.
- Journey of the Gulf Savannah: 17-19 Day Tour. Journey from Longreach through Winton, Mount Isa, and Karumba to Cairns exploring majestic Gulf landscapes and scenic rail journeys. Learn about the country’s pioneering past and take in the stunning natural beauty on this memorable tour.
Longreach is home to some top outback attractions including:
- Drover’s Sunset Cruise: All aboard the Longreach Explorer! Relax on the top deck with 360 degree views of the majestic Thomson River. Your Captain will captivate you with stories about the river, its wildlife and Indigenous links, whilst you enjoy complimentary nibbles & soak up the stunning colours of the spectacular outback sunset sky. Dock at Smithy’s Outback Dinner & Show for a night to remember; take your seat under the stars for the delicious two-course dinner and entertaining show, live on the River Stage.
- Smithy’s Outback Dinner & Show: Settle back and enjoy an evening to remember dining under the stars beside the Coolibah lined Thomson River. Feel the genuine hospitality of your outback hosts with a warm welcome from Smithy’s. Begin with sunset nibbles followed by a two-course table service drover’s dinner, featuring camp oven themed modern cuisine. Live on stage the quality guest performers will entertain you with their songs and stories. A night out at the award-winning Smithy’s is a ‘must do’ when in Longreach – an experience that is bound to be a highlight of your Outback holiday.
- Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame: This tribute to Australia’s Outback heroes includes a variety of traditional artefacts, electronic displays, photographs, films and stories of bush life. The Live Outback Stockman’s Show is also not to be missed! Meet a real Stockman and his animals in a one of a kind live show.
- Qantas Founders Museum: This world-class attraction commemorates the founders of this great Australian company that grew to become internationally recognised as a leader in world aviation. Join a tour of the decommissioned 747 ‘City of Bunbury’ and the Boeing 707 jet, the very first passenger jet ever owned by Qantas Take a 747 Wing Walk Tour to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity to walk on the wing of the 747, safely strapped into a harness and attached to a static line, where you can enjoy the most unique view of the aircraft to be found anywhere!
- Longreach Legends Pass: Make the most out of your Longreach visit with an Outback Aussie Tours Multi-Day Longreach Legends Pass. Choose from either Bronze, Silver or Gold – whichever suits your time and budget. Not only do you get a great value package, you also benefit from 25+ years outback touring experience. Pass activities include Drover’s Sunset Cruise; Sheep & Cattle Station Tours; Entry to Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame; Entry to Qantas Founders Museum; Qantas Founders Jets Tour; and Stockman’s Hall of Fame’s Outback Stockman’s Show.
- Strathmore Station Smoko Tour: Learn about the fascinating life on an Outback Station with a visit to Strathmore Station for a personalised working-station tour. Meet Maree at Strathmore Station who will share her passion for station life as we tour the station and learn about Santa Gertrudis cattle and Merino wool production. Hear how these third-generation graziers made water run uphill with their award-winning water system. Back at the homestead you’ll have time to wander the tranquil gardens and enjoy some warm Outback hospitality including the delicious home-baked morning tea.
- Camden Park Station Sunset Tour: Located near Longreach, Camden Park Station is owned and run by a grazier family and known for its historic homestead where Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip visited for morning tea. Gain an insight into the history of grazing in the Outback by visiting the Walker family with Outback Aussie Tours for a guided personalised tour of the famous Camden Park Station, and enjoy nibbles under the stunning outback sunset sky!
More local highlights:
- Longreach School of Distance Education: Visit one of the largest classrooms in the world at the Longreach School of Distance Education. Tours include an overview of distance education in the bush; a 10 minute video showcasing the students day to day lives at home; a walk through the school with an explanation of the process of the delivery; and observing a ‘live’ on-air lesson.
- Longreach Pastoral College: Experience a taste of life on the land by taking a guided tour. Observe students at work, see live animals and discover the scope of things on offer. Tours by prior arrangement only.
- Longreach Powerhouse Museum: Discover one of Longreach’s best kept secrets. Unearth the local history with exhibits that include the powerhouse generating equipment, displays of social and commercial history, agricultural and road building machinery and the 1921 swimming baths.
- Queensland Helicopters: Top off your Longreach visit and discover Australia’s heartland from above on one of Queensland Helicopter’s spectacular scenic flights. You will be truly amazed by the flat vastness and beauty of the country. Queensland Helicopters offers you a fantastic 10 minute scenic flight around Longreach and over the Thomson River. You will see the famous Stockman’s Hall of Fame and of course the Qantas Museum and static aircraft display Boeing 737 and 707 at the Longreach airport. Unforgettable 20 minute, 90 minute and design-your-own scenic flights available.
- Longreach Tourist Park and Woolshed Restaurant: Longreach Tourist Park provides tourists with everything from air conditioned luxury two bedroom villas and cabins to caravan and camping power sites with ensuite and drive through facilities. The park has three amenities blocks, coach bays, camp kitchen, BBQ sites, two pools and spas. The Woolshed Restaurant and Bistro is fully air conditioned and licensed.
- Longreach Motor Inn: Located directly across the road from the historic Longreach Railway Station and the Outback Aussie Tours office. The property offers a range of accommodation options from standard rooms to King Executive rooms. Their onsite restaurant Harry’s Restaurant & Bar is a favourite Longreach dining option.
Tours available in
Experience the highlights of Outback Queensland’s heartland on the best selling fully inclusive tour featuring more of the top Longreach & Winton attractions and hospitality. You will stay three nights in Longreach and two nights in Winton, allowing you more time in the captivating Outback....
Explore Longreach & Winton's attractions on an unforgettable 5-7 day Outback Getaway. The ideal short break in Outback Queensland, this tour takes in Queensland’s heartland towns of Longreach & Winton featuring four nights in Longreach, a day tour to Winton and all of the top Longreach attraction...
Take in the spectacular landscapes, iconic landmarks and fascinating historical sites on this 9-11 day Birdsville Desert Escape. You will tour the picturesque Far West Outback region, a fusion of stunning red sand hills, abundant wildlife and magnificent flora and fauna....
Journey to the spectacular Channel Country and discover fascinating and remote Outback communities with legendary outback characters. Retrace the last days of Burke and Wills and explore majestic desert landscapes on this fully inclusive memorable tour....
Discover some of Queensland's most fascinating locations and landscapes on this unforgettable 17-19 day guided tour. You will learn about the country’s pioneering past, take iconic scenic rail journeys, wonder at the stunning natural beauty, and so much more on this memorable tour....
This small-group tour promises a unique and authentic adventure deep into the heart of the spectacular landscaped outback with visits to working stations, homesteads, magnificent gorges and historic towns. Explore some of Outback Queensland's best kept secrets....
All aboard the M.V. Longreach Explorer! Relax with complimentary nibbles on the top deck with 360 degree views of the majestic Thomson River. Your Captain will captivate you with stories about the river, its wildlife and Indigenous links. We stop at Sunset Bend to toast the sunset and take in the...
Settle back and enjoy an evening to remember dining under the stars beside the Coolibah lined river. Begin with sunset nibbles followed by a two-course table service dinner, featuring our camp oven themed modern cuisine. Live on stage our quality guest performers will entertain you with their songs ...