Mount Isa has been described as the "Oasis of the Outback"!
Described as the Oasis of the Outback – a gleaming mirage on the horizon for travellers from all directions. Mount Isa nestles among the ochre-red Selwyn Ranges, and on the banks of the Leichhardt River.
Mount Isa has grown from strength to strength over the years, whereas it’s rugged landscape remains much the same becoming one of the main draw-cards for visitors each year. Mount Isa brings out the adventurous spirit in everyone. It offers ample places to fish, camp, four wheel drive, or relax and enjoy an Outback sunset. The rugged terrain is a four wheel driver’s haven. Visitors can explore the region just as the pioneers of the region did many years ago.
Mount Isa’s existence and its main financial base is the huge Mount Isa Mine, the world’s largest single producer of copper, silver, lead and zinc. The mine started with John Campbell Miles in 1923. He was responsible for the discovery of silver-lead ore in the area, filling 500 leases before Mount Isa Mining took over operations in 1924. The rich deposit continues producing high volumes of ore, therefore is classed as one of the worlds great mines.
Visit Mount Isa with Outback Aussie Tours:
- Journey of the Gulf Savannah: 17-19 Day Tour. Journey from Longreach through Winton, Mount Isa, and Karumba to Cairns exploring majestic Gulf landscapes and scenic rail journeys. Learn about the country’s pioneering past and take in the stunning natural beauty on this memorable tour.
Key Mount Isa attractions include:
- Lawn Hill Gorge: Boodjamulla National Park is one of Queensland’s most exceptional parks, boasting spectacular gorge scenery, diverse wildlife, exhilarating walking and canoeing, and fossils deposits dating back 25 million years. Here, Lawn Hill Gorge carves a serpentine ribbon of green through the dry savannah landscape, creating an oasis in the outback.
- Outback at Isa: At Mount Isa’s major tourism facility, you will find the Mount Isa Visitor Information Centre (VIC), Hard Times Mine Underground Tour, Isa Experience and Outback Park, the Mount Isa Regional Art Gallery, Riversleigh Fossil Centre, Mount Isa Fish Hatchery Project and the Outback Cafe.
- Riversleigh Fossil Centre: The Riversleigh Fossil Centre at Outback at Isa educates visitors and interprets the fossils extracted from the nearby Riversleigh Fossil Fields. Now a world heritage-listed area, the Fossil Fields are home to one of the most significant and exciting fossil deposits in the world.
- Hard Times Mine Underground Tour: Take a journey into the earth with your tour guide, who has worked as a miner for most of his life, to explore the history of mining and hear the guide’s stories of the good times and the hard times that they had working deep underground.
- Isa Experience: From the fascinating insight into the mining industry development to the cultural diversity of Mount Isa shown in the theatrette movies, to the depictions of the quirkiness of daily life in the early days, the exhibit is vibrant and entertaining.
- National Trust Tent House, Underground Hospital and Beth Anderson Museum: Visit the fully intact Mount Isa Underground Hospital, built by off-duty miners during World War II, in the grounds of the Mount Isa District Hospital. Sharing this location is the Beth Anderson Museum, where you can view an extensive range of antique medical equipment and a hand written First Aid Manual. The last remaining intact National Trust Tent House is also on site.
- Lake Moondarra: Located 16km from Mount Isa, the artificial lake includes picnic areas, pontoons, a ski jump and water sports facilities. The lake is popular with birdwatchers, sailors and anglers, as it is stocked with barramundi and sooty grunter.
Tours available in
Discover some of Queensland's most fascinating locations and landscapes on this unforgettable 17-19 day guided tour. You will learn about the country’s pioneering past, take iconic scenic rail journeys, wonder at the stunning natural beauty, and so much more on this memorable tour....