Winton has a rich history as the birthplace of Waltzing Matilda and QANTAS and links to the Great Shearers' Strike of 1891, but is just as well known today for something far more ancient...DINOSAURS!
Banjo Paterson wrote the lyrics for the famous Waltzing Matilda ballad in 1895, while staying at Dagworth Station outside Winton. He first played the unofficial national anthem at Winton’s North Gregory Hotel. The hotel is a favourite stop for Winton visitors. Recognised as the ‘home’ of Australian bush poetry, Winton hosts the annual Bronze Swagman Award. This is one of the country’s most prestigious literary awards.
The iconic Australian airline, Qantas started here in November 1920. They held the first board meeting in the Winton Club way back in 1921! However if you want to visit the Qantas Founders Museum, you’ll have to head to Longreach.
Winton has an undisputed rich history with links to the Great Shearers’ Strike, Waltzing Matilda and Qantas. However in recent days dinosaur discoveries have attracted new visitors to the region.
Winton has three artesian bores, drawing water from the Great Artesian Basin. The 83 degree Celsius water travels around 1,200 meters through the ground to the surface.
Visit Winton with Outback Aussie Tours:
- Winton Day Tour: 1 Day Tour. Get ready for a day rich in Australian culture and heritage on an unforgettable Winton Day Tour from Longreach to the Dinosaur Capital of Australia and home of Waltzing Matilda.
- Outback Getaway: 5-7 Day Tour. The ideal short break in Outback Queensland, this tour explores Queensland’s heartland towns of Longreach & Winton featuring four nights in Longreach, a day tour to Winton and all of the top Longreach attractions.
- Legendary Longreach & Winton Tour: 6-8 Day Tour. Experience the highlights of Outback Queensland’s heartland on the best selling fully inclusive tour featuring more of the top Longreach & Winton attractions and hospitality.
- Outback Overlander: 9-10 Day Tour. Take a unique adventure deep into the heart of the spectacular outback. Explore some of Queensland’s best kept secrets as you journey from Cairns to Brisbane via Winton, Longreach, Barcaldine and the fascinating Outback overland region.
- Birdsville Desert Escape: 9-11 Day Tour. A very popular fully inclusive tour featuring Birdsville, where the Channel Country meets the desert, Winton & Longreach. Tour the picturesque Far West Outback region, a fusion of stunning red sand hills, abundant wildlife and magnificent flora and fauna.
- Journey of the Gulf Savannah: 17-19 Day Tour. Journey from Longreach through Winton, Mount Isa, and Karumba to Cairns exploring majestic Gulf landscapes and scenic rail journeys. Learn about the country’s pioneering past and take in the stunning natural beauty on this memorable tour.
Key Winton attractions include:
- Australian Age of Dinosaurs Museum: Home to the world’s biggest collection of Australian dinosaur fossils, this incredible museum is also the site of Australia’s largest fossil preparation laboratory. The Museum is split between three facilities, the Fossil Preparation Laboratory, Collection Room and the NEW Dinosaur Canyon. The Museum is 24kms south-east of Winton, off the Longreach Road, and offers spectacular views from The Jump-Up.
- Dinosaur Stampede National Monument: The world’s only recorded dinosaur stampede featuring approximately 3,300 fossilised dinosaur footprints frozen in time in ancient mudflats. It features trackways formed 95 million years ago. Dinosaurs Stampede National Monument is just a day trip from Winton at Lack Quarry Conservation Park.
- The Waltzing Matilda Centre: The first museum in the world dedicated to a song. ‘Banjo’ Paterson wrote ‘Waltzing Matilda’ whilst holidaying on Dagworth Station. The legend goes that the first public performance was at the North Gregory Hotel.
- Qantilda Museum: Dedicated to Winton and the pioneering history of the Shire, the Qantilda Museum honours some of the country’s great pioneers.
- Royal Open Air Theatre: Originally established in 1918, the historic Royal Theatre offers a rare opportunity to enjoy the movies the old-fashioned way – laid back in canvas seats under the stars. The Royal Open Air Theatre is one of the few remaining open air picture theatres in Australia still in operation and is also home to the World’s Largest Deck Chair.
- Combo Waterhole: 132km northwest of Winton off the Landsborough Highway, Combo Waterhole is believed by some to be the setting for the story of Waltzing Matilda, or at least part of the inspiration. ‘Banjo’ Paterson visited the site in 1895 while staying at Dagworth Station. He later wrote the words to a song that captured the spirit of Australia – ‘Waltzing Matilda’.
- Musical Fence: Winton is home to the first permanent musical fence installation in the world. Accompanied by a junkyard band, the Musical Fence is free and available for everyone to use. Go on, grab a stick and head on down to make some music at the world’s first and only Musical Fence!
- Experience Winton website: For more information on Winton we recommend you view the Experience Winton website.
Tours available in
Experience the highlights of Outback Queensland’s heartland on the best selling fully inclusive tour featuring more of the top Longreach & Winton attractions and hospitality. You will stay three nights in Longreach and two nights in Winton, allowing you more time in the captivating Outback....
Explore Longreach & Winton's attractions on an unforgettable 5-7 day Outback Getaway. The ideal short break in Outback Queensland, this tour takes in Queensland’s heartland towns of Longreach & Winton featuring four nights in Longreach, a day tour to Winton and all of the top Longreach attraction...
Take in the spectacular landscapes, iconic landmarks and fascinating historical sites on this 9-11 day Birdsville Desert Escape. You will tour the picturesque Far West Outback region, a fusion of stunning red sand hills, abundant wildlife and magnificent flora and fauna....
Discover some of Queensland's most fascinating locations and landscapes on this unforgettable 17-19 day guided tour. You will learn about the country’s pioneering past, take iconic scenic rail journeys, wonder at the stunning natural beauty, and so much more on this memorable tour....
This small-group tour promises a unique and authentic adventure deep into the heart of the spectacular landscaped outback with visits to working stations, homesteads, magnificent gorges and historic towns. Explore some of Outback Queensland's best kept secrets....